5 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Vegan Diets

It is no secret that people who opt for a vegan diet begin to lose weight in a short period of time. However, there is much more to a vegan diet than just simply assisting us to lose weight.

Here are 5 reasons to switch to a vegan diet today:

1. A More Nutritious Diet

By Switching to a vegan diet from a western diet, the first thing that’s going to happen is that you will obviously cut animal meat from your food completely. This would leave you with no choice other than resorting to other sources of food like veggies, peas, beans, seeds, nuts, and fruits. This will lead to much higher consumption of certain nutrients that you probably haven’t been getting a lot of.
It is scientifically proven that people on a vegan diet have more intake of fiber, potassium, folate, Vitamins A, E, and C as well as other antioxidants. It is worth mentioning that you may be on a vegan diet that is not necessarily healthy. Many people who follow an inappropriately structured diet that revolves mostly around vegan fast-food may lack enough iron, calcium, zinc, fatty acids and vitamin B12. It is important to remember some people may need to add dietary supplements like Iron and vitamin B12 if their diet lacks the necessary amounts.

2. Weight Loss

Many people these days change to a vegan diet in order to lose weight and the numbers are much more than you think because it works! According to credible studies vegans tend to have lesser BMI and thinner bodies in general compared to omnivores.
Some of these studies show that a vegan diet works better than diets with calorie limits even when the vegan diet participants had the chance to eat until they are full.

3. Lower Blood Sugar

Going vegan has proven to be beneficial for people suffering from type 2 diabetes and kidney problems.
According to American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association and National Cholesterol Education Program, vegans have lower blood sugar in general with less resistance toward insulin with around 60% lower chance of developing the disease in the first place. In one study, 40% of participants who followed a vegan diet were able to reduce their intake of diabetes medicine compared to only 26% who followed an ADA restricted diet.

4. Lower Risk of Heart Diseases

Consumption of vegetables, legumes, fiber and of course fruits are proven to reduce the chance of heart diseases. These are all an integral part of a well-balanced vegan diet which proves the benefits one can reap from following such diet programs.
Studies suggest that vegans have a 75% lower chance of high blood pressure which is very important when it comes to maintaining cardiovascular health. Other studies also suggest that vegans have a 42% lower chance of death from various heart-related diseases. It is also a fact that vegan a well-planned vegan diet can reduce the amount of blood cholesterol and blood sugar dramatically which decreases the risk of heart diseases by around 30%.

5. Beneficial for Arthritis Sufferers

There have been a few pieces of research that proved a vegan diet is beneficial for people suffering from different types of arthritis.
One of those studied 40 people suffering from arthritis. They were divided into two groups. One continued their normal western diet and the other one switched to a balanced vegan diet rich in whole-food for 180 days. The participants following the plant-based diet reported to feel less fatigued and better overall body functions compared to the other group.
Other studies proved that opting for a probiotic-rich vegan diet improved the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. After studying the results, it was proven that the pain and joint swelling in these participants have improved after following a vegan probiotic-rich diet.


Switching to a vegan diet will provide you with a number of health benefits and there are a lot of reasons to consider doing so today. At Orion Healing center in the beautiful island of Koh Phangan, in addition to our yoga retreats, reiki courses, and detox programs, you are able to enjoy our wonderful vegan café with a menu packed with tasty and authentic vegan dishes and drinks that proves a healthy dish can be tasty and memorable.

5 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Vegan Diets was last modified: December 21st, 2020 by Orion